San Juan Bautista Mission Garden
(Source: Library of
The San Juan Bautista Mission
was founded on June 24, 1797. The mission was very
successful in converting the native Indians, outgrowing
the original church in 1803. A new church was built
capable of holding 1000 worshippers. The town of San Juan
Bautista grew around the mission. The town became the
northern end of the stage route. This brought many travelers
through the town.
Even after secularization
the mission continued as a parish church. The mission was
fully restored in 1949.
This drawing shows the San
Juan Bautista mission garden.