Santo Ines Mission
(Source: Library of
The Santa Ines Mission was
founded in 1804 to reach the natives living inland of the
coast. It also served as a stop over on the trail between
Santa Barbara and La Purisima. Its most dominant feature
was the long barracks which slept 450 people. Santa Ines
also had an elaborate watering system with a
water-powered mill to grind wheat and corn.
This drawing shows the Santa
Ines mission during its operation. The drawing highlights
the mission's extensive barracks.
was severely damaged in the earthquake of 1812. It was
also burned down during an Indian revolt in 1824. Despite
these setbacks, the mission continued to operate until
In 1844 the mission was turned into a seminary for
training priests. The buildings continued to deteriorate
until 1903 when the mission was restored.