The Santa Clara
de Asis Mission was founded on January 18, 1777. It was
dedicated by Father Serra. The first mission was built on
the bank of the Guadalupe River. Constant flooding and
wet, marsh-like soil caused the mission to be moved
several times to higher, drier ground. On the positive
side, this climate and soil was very good for farming
crops. The mission was very successful thanks to the help
of almost 2000 natives and a resourceful group of padres.
1818, the mission was severely damaged by an earthquake,
and had to be rebuilt.
After secularization, the mission continued to be
used. It was a Jesuit Seminary in 1851. Four years later
it became the Santa Clara College, which today is the
University of Santa Clara. A fire in 1926 damaged the
church. The church was restored based on the original