San Miguel Mission
Library of Congress)
The San Miguel Mission was
founded on July 25, 1797 by Father Lasuen. The mission
was intended to extend the missions inland. A fire
partially destroyed the structure in 1806. The new church
was completed in 1818. The mission produced agriculture
and livestock. It also had a vineyard for producing wine.
secularization, most of the property was given to the
natives. The buildings were sold and over the years were
used as a residence, a tavern and a store. Today the
mission serves as a parish church maintained by resident
priests and its members.
This drawing shows the
bell-post and corridor at the San Miguel Mission.