San Juan Capistrano Mission Ruins
(Source: Library of Congress)
The San Juan Capistrano was the 7th mission. It was initially
dedicated by Father Lasuen in 1775. Shortly after dedication it
was abandoned because of the Indian revolt in San Diego. Father
Serra re-dedicated the mission in 1776.
The mission was very successful and by 1796 had outgrown the
small chapel built in 1776. Construction started on a new church.
The large stone church with 7 domes took over ten years to build.
It was built in the shape of a Roman Cross. Only six years after
completion, the church was destroyed by an earthquake. Only
broken pillars and arches were left standing. The picture is of an old mission Indian, and ruins of the San Juan Capistrano Mission.
In 1833, after secularization, the mission economy quickly
fell apart. The mission went into private hands. In 1920,
restoration started. Today the mission is a very popular tourist