Dedicated by Father Lasuen in 1797, the San Fernando Rey de
Espana Mission was one of the last missions to be built. Like
other missions, San Fernando prospered and within a year had
outgrown the original chapel built in 1797. A new church was
built, which was quickly outgrown and replaced in 1803.
San Fernando served as a hospice for travelers along El
Camino Real. In 1822, the high volume of travelers encouraged
the padres to build the Convento, a large two story building.
After secularization private use preserved the convento while
the other structures were seriously damaged. The Convento was
eventually restored and converted into a museum.