San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission
Library of Congress)
The San Carlos Borromeo de
Carmelo Mission was founded by Father Serra on June 3,
1770. It was initially founded as San Carlos de Monterey.
The presidio and chapel were built at the site of today's
Royal Presidio Chapel in Monterey. Within 6 months,
Father Serra decided to move the church away from the
presidio because the soldiers were unfriendly to the Indians.
Father Serra dedicated a new site near the
Carmel River. The first building were made of mud with a
thatched roof. In 1771, construction was started on a
stone church. The new church was not completed until
1797. The rest of the quadrangle was completed in 1815. This drawing shows the
original San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo mission.
After secularization the mission was abandoned. The
buildings deteriorated and the roof eventually collapsed
in 1851. The mission was restored in 1934.