San Antonio do Padua Mission
Library of Congress)
Father Serra dedicated the
San Antonio Mission on July 14, 1771. An adobe chapel was
built in 1782. The site was one of the richest and known
for growing wheat, and the best flour made in the
country. A water-powered mill was built in 1806. Water
was brought in a stone-walled ditch for many miles to
drive a large water-wheel which operated the mill. In
addition to agriculture, the mission grew a large herd of
livestock. This drawing shows the San
Antonio mission during its operation.
After secularization the native Indians
driven off by ranchers who wanted the land for their
cattle. Very little of the original mission survived. In
1948, the mission was restored.