Santa Barbara Mission

The Santa Barbara Mission was founded in 1776. The present church was completed in 1820. An extensive watering system brought water from an upstream dam to the mission. It provided water to the mission reservoirs, kitchen, laundry, flour mill, hospital and fields for irrigating crops.

Even after secularization the mission remained church property and was maintained by the church. Parts of the church were damaged in a 1925 earthquake and were restored. The mission continues to operate today as a seminary and contains the archives of the Franciscan Order.

On this Page:

Other related pages:

Location

Top of Page

  2201 Laguna Street, Santa Barbara.

 

The Mission

Top of Page

The Santa Barbara Mission (Source: The Library of Congress).

Church and Fountain at the Santa Barbara Mission (Source: The Library of Congress).

 

Top of Page

 

 

Facebook and Twitter

Copyright 1998-2010 Kidport