The San Miguel Mission was the 16th mission to be founded.
On this Page:
Other related pages:
|The San Miguel mission is located eight miles north of Paso Robles on U.S. Highway 101.|
|The San Miguel Mission was
founded on July 25, 1797 by Father Lasuen. The mission
was intended to extend the missions inland. A fire
partially destroyed the structure in 1806. The new church
was completed in 1818. The mission produced agriculture
and livestock. It also had a vineyard for producing wine.
After secularization, most of the property was given to the natives. The buildings were sold and over the years were used as a residence, a tavern and a store. Today the mission serves as a parish church maintained by resident priests and its members.
|This drawing shows the bell-post and corridor at the San Miguel Mission (Source: Library of Congress).||