San Luis Rey de Francia

The San Luis Rey de Francia mission was the 18th mission to be built. The mission operated for 34 years under the guidance of Father Antonio Peyri. It had a large church designed to hold thousands of worshippers.

In 1832, after secularization, the structures deteriorated. During the Mexican War, United States troops used the mission as barracks. In 1893 the mission was turned into a seminary and restoration started. It is still an active parish church and seminary.

On this Page:

Other related pages:

Location

Top of Page

  State Highway 76, 5 miles east of Oceanside.

 

The Mission

Top of Page

This picture shows the San Luis Rey mission (Source: Library of Congress).

This picture shows a large fireplace at the San Luis Rey mission (Source: Library of Congress).

 

Top of Page

 

 

Facebook and Twitter

Copyright 1998-2010 Kidport