San Juan Capistrano Mission

The San Juan Capistrano was the 7th mission. It was initially dedicated by Father Lasuen in 1775. Shortly after dedication it was abandoned because of the indian revolt in San Diego. Father Serra re-dedicated the mission in 1776.

The mission was very successful and by 1796 had outgrown the small chapel built in 1776. Construction started on a new church. The large stone church with 7 domes took over ten years to build. It was built in the shape of a Roman Cross. Only six years after completion, the church was destroyed by an earthquake. Only broken pillars and arches were left standing.

In 1833, after secularization, the mission economy quickly fell apart. The mission went into private hands. In 1920, restoration started. Today the mission is a very popular tourist attraction.

On this Page:

Other related pages:

Location

Top of Page

    Highway 101 North of San Diego

 

The Mission

Top of Page

Picture of an old mission indian, and ruins of the San Juan Capistrano Mission (Source: Library of Congress).

 

Top of Page

 

 

Facebook and Twitter

Copyright 1998-2010 Kidport