San Juan Bautista Mission

The San Juan Bautista Mission was the 15th mission to be founded.

On this Page:

Other related pages:

Location

Top of Page

The San Juan Bautista Mission is located on Highway 156 in San Juan Bautista.

 

The Mission

Top of Page

The San Juan Bautista Mission was founded on June 24, 1797. The mission was very successful in converting the native indians, outgrowing the original church in 1803. A new church was built capable of holding 1000 worshippers. The town of San Juan Bautista grew around the mission. The town became the northern end of the stage route. This brought many travellers through the town.

Even after secularization the mission continued as a parish church. The mission was fully restored in 1949.

This drawing shows the San Juan Bautista mission garden (Source: Library of Congress).

This drawing shows a corridor at the San Juan Bautista mission (Source: Library of Congress).

 

Top of Page

 

 

Facebook and Twitter

Copyright 1998-2010 Kidport