The San Jose de Guadalope Mission was the 14th mission, founded on June 11, 1797.
On this Page:
Other related pages:
|The San Jose de Guadalope Mission is located between Warm Springs and Fremont in Mission San Jose, California.|
|The San Jose
Mission was founded on June 11, 1797 by Father Lasuen.
The mission was slow to be accepted by the natives.
Eventually it became one of the most successful missions.
With 8000 converts, it led the missions in many
agricultural crops. It also had a large herd of cattle.
After secularization the mission declined, but still was used as a parish church. An earthquake in 1868 destroyed most of the mission. A wooden church was built to replace the damaged church. Very little of the original mission is left today -- only the wooden church and small part of one wing of the quadrangle.