San Fernando Rey de Espana Mission

Dedicated by Father Lasuen in 1797, the San Fernando Rey de Espana Mission was one of the last missions to be built. Like other missions, San Fernando prospered and within a year had outgrown the original chapel built in 1797. A new church was built, which was quickly outgrown and replaced in 1803.

San Fernando served as a hospice for travellers along El Camino Real. In 1822, the high volume of travellers encouraged the padres to build the Convento, a large two story building.

After secularization private use preserved the convento while the other structures were seriously damaged. The Convento was eventually restored and converted into a museum.

On this Page:

Other related pages:

Location

Top of Page

  15151 San Fernando Road in San Fernando.

 

The Mission

Top of Page

   
 

Top of Page

 

 

Facebook and Twitter

Copyright 1998-2010 Kidport