The San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission was the 2nd mission to be founded.
On this Page:
Other related pages:
|The San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission is located in the southern end of Carmel on Junipero Avenue.|
|The San Carlos Borromeo de
Carmelo Mission was founded by Father Serra on June 3,
1770. It was initially founded as San Carlos de Monterey.
The presidio and chapel were built at the site of today's
Royal Presidio Chapel in Monterey. Within 6 months,
Father Serra decided to move the church away from the
presidio because the soldiers were unfriendly to the
Father Serra dedicated a new site near the Carmel River. The first building were made of mud with a thatched roof. In 1771, construction was started on a stone church. The new church was not completed until 1797. The rest of the quadrangle was completed in 1815.
After secularization the mission was abandoned. The buildings deteriorated and the roof eventually collapsed in 1851. The mission was restored in 1934.
|This drawing shows the original San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo mission (Source: Library of Congress).||
|This drawing shows the interior of San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission, showing the original spring of the roof and curve of the walls (Source: Library of Congress).||