La Purisima Concepcion Mission

The La Purisima Concepcion Mission was the 11th mission, founded on December 8, 1787.

On this Page:

Other related pages:

Location

Top of Page

The La Purisima Concepcion Mission is located 19 miles west of Buellton on State Highway 246.

 

The Mission

Top of Page

The La Purisima Mission was founded on December 8, 1787. It was the first to be dedicated by Father Lasuen. The mission was first built from mud plaster. In 1800 a stronger adobe mission was built. The mission once had 10,000 livestock, plus agriculture including a vineyard.

The mission suffered many challenges. It was severely damaged in the 1812 earthquake. Later, an earthquake broke a dam upstream causing the mission, equipment, irrigation system and crops to be flooded. A drought in 1816 and 1817 then caused crops and livestock to die.

A new mission was completed in 1818. This new mission was built in a straight line, rather than the traditional quadrangle. This made it easier to evacuate during an earthquake. Unfortunately, the mission continued to face problems. A fire in 1818 damaged some of the buildings. Then in 1824, the native indians revolted and occupied the mission for a month until driven out by soldiers.

The mission deteriorated after secularization. Many of the remaining natives died from a smallpox epidemic in 1844.

In 1930, the land was given to the National Park Service for restoration. It is now a state historical monument.

This drawing shows the inside of the La Purisima Mission (Source: Library of Congress).

 

Top of Page

 

 

Facebook and Twitter

Copyright 1998-2010 Kidport