The San Juan Bautista Mission was the 15th mission to be founded.
On this Page:
Other related pages:
|The San Juan Bautista Mission
was founded on June 24, 1797. The mission was very
successful in converting the native indians, outgrowing
the original church in 1803. A new church was built
capable of holding 1000 worshippers. The town of San Juan
Bautista grew around the mission. The town became the
northern end of the stage route. This brought many
travellers through the town.
Even after secularization the mission continued as a parish church. The mission was fully restored in 1949.
|This drawing shows the San Juan Bautista mission garden (Source: Library of Congress).||
|This drawing shows a corridor at the San Juan Bautista mission (Source: Library of Congress).||