The La Purisima Concepcion Mission was the 11th mission, founded on December 8, 1787.
On this Page:
Other related pages:
|The La Purisima Concepcion Mission is located 19 miles west of Buellton on State Highway 246.|
|The La Purisima Mission was
founded on December 8, 1787. It was the first to be
dedicated by Father Lasuen. The mission was first built
from mud plaster. In 1800 a stronger adobe mission was
built. The mission once had 10,000 livestock, plus
agriculture including a vineyard.
The mission suffered many challenges. It was severely damaged in the 1812 earthquake. Later, an earthquake broke a dam upstream causing the mission, equipment, irrigation system and crops to be flooded. A drought in 1816 and 1817 then caused crops and livestock to die.
A new mission was completed in 1818. This new mission was built in a straight line, rather than the traditional quadrangle. This made it easier to evacuate during an earthquake. Unfortunately, the mission continued to face problems. A fire in 1818 damaged some of the buildings. Then in 1824, the native indians revolted and occupied the mission for a month until driven out by soldiers.
The mission deteriorated after secularization. Many of the remaining natives died from a smallpox epidemic in 1844.
In 1930, the land was given to the National Park Service for restoration. It is now a state historical monument.
|This drawing shows the inside of the La Purisima Mission (Source: Library of Congress).||