Bone Structure

Custom Search

Human Body:

Human Body

Skeleton

Ankle

Arm

Bone Structure

Collar Bone or Clavicle

Elbow

Fingers and Nails

Foot

Hand

Hip

Joint Structure

Knee

Leg

Mandible

Pelvis

Radius and Ulna

Ribs

Sacrum

Shoulder Blade or Scapula

Skull

Spine

Sternum or Breast Bone

Vertebrae

Wrist

Human Body Videos

Science Videos


Science Main Index



 

If you read the section on the human skeleton, you know that our body is made up of many bones. These bones provide a framework or structure to our body. But, what are bones? What happens when a bone breaks? Read on to learn more about parts of bones and the materials in a bone.

On this page:

Bone Structure

Top of Page

Human Bone Structure
Bone Structure

Bones serve us in many ways. They help us to move. They provide support when we are standing or sitting. They even protect organs of the body such as the brain, heart and lungs. They also produce red and white blood cells and store minerals. That means bones are very important, so we must take very go care of them.

Bones are stong and hard, and come in many shapes. Bones have a hard outer layer called the compact bone. This outer layer makes up about 80% of the total bone mass of an adult skeleton. This layer gives the bone its white color. The inside of the bone is called cancellous or spongy bone. Although the cancellous tissue makes up only remaining 20% of the total bone mass, it is light and porous, and makes up most of the bone material. The cancellous tissue also has space for blood vessels and marrow.

Bone marrow, in the medullary canal of long bones, produces blood cells in a process called haematopoiesis. New red and white blood cells are produced every day to maintain constant blood levels.

 

Books on the Human Body

Top of Page

   
   

 

Other links on the Human Body

Top of Page

   
 

Top of Page

 
Copyright © 1998-2012 Kidport