The San Rafael
Arcangel Mission started its life as a branch mission in
1817. It was founded because of the considerable illness
and death at the Mission Dolores. The padres believed
that the dry sunny area of San Rafael would help the
health of the sick from Mission Dolores. The mission was
named after Saint Raphael who was known for his powers of
Sick indians were taken to the hospital at San
Rafael to get well. The branch mission initially
consisted of primarily the church and the hospital. It
was finally declared a full mission in 1823.
After secularization, the property was sold in 1842.
It was later abandoned. It was eventually demolished in
the 1870's. A replacement was built on the site in 1927,
which is now used as a parish church and school.