San Luis Rey de Francia Mission
Library of Congress)
The San Luis Rey de Francia mission was the 18th mission to be
built. The mission operated for 34 years under the guidance of
Father Antonio Peyri. It had a large church designed to hold
thousands of worshippers.
In 1832, after secularization, the structures deteriorated.
During the Mexican War, United States troops used the mission as
barracks. In 1893 the mission was turned into a seminary and
restoration started. It is still an active parish church and