The Asistencia San Antonio de Pala Mission was constructed in
1815 by Father Peyri as a branch of the San Luis Rey mission. It
was built to serve the laborers who worked the grain fields 20
miles east of the San Luis Rey mission.
After secularization the mission was disbanded and taken over
as private land. It was returned to the Catholic Church in 1903.
Today the mission operates a church and school for the Indians on
the Pala Reservation.